Join the Choir
Auditions for new choir members take place once or twice a year. We advertise vacancies on this web site, and also by email to our audience mailing list. We encourage all interested singers to wait until there are advertised vacancies in their voice part before getting in contact.
Generally, new members must:
- Have recent choral singing experience.
- Read music and have good sight-singing ability - typically we rehearse without a piano!
- Be open to a broad range of musical styles.
- Commit to regular rehearsals. We rehearse in Dublin city centre on Wednesday nights from 7.15pm - 9.30pm. With approaching concerts or competitions there are occasional weekend rehearsals.
Auditions consist of you singing a prepared piece for our conductor, some sight-reading, plus some range and ear tests. The song you prepare need not be elaborate; we look for flexible voices with good intonation that can blend with a choir, and not necessarily trained singers or soloists.
The typical choir year includes:
- Three main concert programmes.
- Carols at Christmas.
- Subsidised tour to a competition (Slovenia 2009, Cork 2011/2014, France 2014) or festival (Electric Picnic 2008, Canada 2007).
- One or more special projects, such as a workshop, an exchange with a foreign choir, or a recording for CD or film.
- We also enjoy socialising together on a regular basis.
- There is no membership fee and the choir covers costs such as music hire. In return members are expected to make reasonable efforts to participate in at least two corporate / for-hire performances a year to cover operating expenses.